• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

You need to upgrade your Flash Player to version 10 or newer.

Desicant

To all my friends who like rice (or who I think like rice),

Have you noticed those dessicant you see in the food packages, especially in the rice products? A desiccant is a hygroscopic substance that induces or sustains a state of dryness (desiccation) in its container. For many products like rice snacks and others, dessicants are useful in that it can lengthen its expiration dates up to 13 months (AFS statistics).




However, dessicants are extremely harmful substances to our body. It can severely damage our digestive system and damage our immune systems if consumed by human. Its effects can be fatal. The companies that sell products with dessicants are required by the law to clearly label it as dessicants and that they are not to be consumed.

Seems like a very reasonable precautions, right? Well, I have some objection to it. I'm not saying that I have the perfect solutions but I have some conflicting ideas about this labelling.

There are lots of things in the world that I don't understand why this is happening. And this is one of them. I has seen this dessicant pack since I was young. I always thought it was a kind reminders but as I grew older, I started to question its effectiveness. And now it has become one of my (but maybe not for you) world's greatest mysteries. My problem is this:

IF YOU ARE ABLE TO READ THE LABEL "DO NOT EAT," YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH NOT TO EAT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.



Does that make sense? If you are old enough or if you are smart enough to read English (or whatever your language), you already know you shouldn't eat those dodgy looking chemicals in the food product you have just purchased!

Some packs have pictures on it. They are better than words, but are still on the boarder line. I think if you are smart enough to understand what the picture is trying to say, you already are smart enough to understand that "hazardous" looking white powder in the little pack is dangerous and not good your body. You'll be suprised: lots of kids actually practice common sense.

So I want to suggest to hundreds and thousands of production managers out there: Do something about this. I sure don't have a solution for it but I sure do know that we have a problem. Instead of making sure people who are old enough to read the label not to eat the dessicant, you should focus on more vulnerable infants who can't read and who doesnt understand the pictures. Sure the parents can teach their children not to eat those dessicants, but what kind of security, as the offerers of those products, can you promise??? I'll be excited to know your creative ideas.

0 comments: